Monday, May 04, 2009

The Great Burger Sweeps

225px-WhataburgerLogo
#1 -- Picture courtesy of Wikipedia

by blogSpotter
With today's blog, I'm entering a consumer reporting category that I've not done before. My views here are totally unscientific, opinionated and oriented towards me. However, I know the topic pretty well and have a good sense of what's right, foodwise. I'll also preface this by admitting that I love fast food. I think it can be very convenient and nutritional; those of us who like an occasional visit to "Jack in the Crack" will momentarily need to tune out the food snobs who have such low regard for high calorie, soul-satisfying carbs.

I live in East Dallas, so my reviews are oriented towards the major places close by me. I have an "honorable mention" section to single out great chains that weren't ranked because: they don't qualify as fast food, they're not ubiquitous chains, not big in Texas, or (to be frank) I haven't gone enough to form a good impression. With all that being said, let's get on with the greasy burger ranking...

#1 -- Whataburger
This chain has a fairly limited menu and dated concept. That being said, their food is by far the best, the restaurants are clean and the service is friendly. Caveats: the food is cooked fresh, made to order so it might take a solid 10 minutes to get your food. Go somewhere else if you're "jonesing" for an immediate food fix.

180px-Wendy%27s_logo_svg
#2 -- Pic courtesy of Wikipedia

#2 -- Wendy’s
Wendy’s has a sprawling menu that allows you all kinds of healthy choices and side substitutions. My blog is focused mainly on burgers so I don't really care all that much about the healthy aspect of it. Wendy's burgers are pretty darn good, the restaurant is clean and the service is lightening fast. This puts Wendy's as a close #2 behind Whataburger.

#3 -- McDonalds
McDonalds used to be the gold standard of fast food hamburger restaurants -- they still have probably the best fries and shakes on the market. They are an enduring emblem of American capitalism, with a worldwide reach and some of the best commercial jingles around. BUT (and you knew it was coming) my last few trips to McDonalds have been frustrating. It's chaotic to tell who's waiting on me or who's next -- the lines are hard to gauge. Also, the one nearest me has had dirty tables and/or whole sections of the restaurant cordoned off (with mops and buckets?) for cleaning I suppose. IMOH, the whole restaurant should be pretty clean, well-lighted and available for seating, if the dining room is open.

#4 -- Jack in the Box
Jack in the Box has terrific commercials let me say. They also have pretty clean restaurants and good service. What they don't have is food that tastes very good, and that's the business they're in. I had a Panini sandwich there that tasted vaguely like Ajax. I've had French fries that were rubbery in texture and in taste. How can you even do that to a potato? There might be something in the recipe our military could use for weaponry.

#5 -- Burger King
How the mighty have fallen -- BK used to be my favorite -- back in the 80's. Since then, I think they had some changes in management, and all did not go well. My past few experiences have included dodgy, nay bad service. The cashier doesn't speak English well, or is bantering with another employee. Restaurant is dirty along with the restroom. I went to one where my tennis shoes made a clicking sound with each step -- there was such an accumulation of spilled catsup and soda pop on the floor. On top of all that, the food was poorly prepared and rashly assembled. They got my order wrong @ 25% of the time. It was bad in every major category. Maybe the BK branches close to me are lacking and I don't have a good sample ... who knows?

HONORABLE Mentions. The following are worth checking out; they just aren't widespread or frequent enough in my own dining experiences...
o Burger Street -- small chain w/ delicious (albeit salty) burgers, limited seating
o Braum's -- Family restaurant, not really fast food, wide variety of items on menu
o Carl Junior's -- California chain, recently come to Texas (not been there myself)
o Dairy Queen -- Delicious food and desserts, but hard to spot one in Dallas close to where I live
o Snuffer's -- Delicious burgers and fries in a pleasant "fern bar" ambience
o Sonic -- Good, but a little put off by the service model. Good food though
o White Castle -- Some people (Harold and Kumar?) swear by this -- not big in Texas

© 2009 blogSpotter

Labels:



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMO:

Sonic is #1 best if you are taking it back to the office or home, but who wants to eat in their car? If you are grabbing a bite while running around elsewhere, that's a show-stopper.

Very close 2nd is Whataburger. Generous with the fresh jalapenos, HUGE fries and like you said, always made completely fresh.

Braum's after that. They're a little stingy on the jalapenos, but have THE BEST fries and shakes. The latter is totally unsurprising, since they are made fresh from real ice cream.

Burger King and Wendy's will do in a lurch. They're burgers are more bland. Burger King has slightly better fries. Tastes like some mild sweetener in the seasoning.

McDonald's is for children only. Blech!!!!

10:02 AM  
Blogger blogspotter said...

I need to come back at a future point with everyone's votes averaged in.

I've only been to Sonic a handful of times, and the food was great. I just like being able to walk in & sit down.

McDonalds is now competing w/ Starbucks on coffee. Am wondering how that will play since McDonalds has a totally different, child-oriented atmospehere.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home