Saturday, September 18, 2010

Robert's Comedy Pantheon

150px-KathyGriffin PATTON
It's a Tie -- Pictures courtesy of Wikipedia

by blogSpotter

Preface
I had another article all ready for publication (my historical magnum opus on John Wilkes Booth). Then upon reading it, I fell soundly asleep – and I’m the author. I don’t do ‘book reports’ and yet that’s what it was – a bore, a snore and a dismal fact dump. Think I do better sometimes when I “pull it out of my ass” as David Letterman describes Dr. Phil’s advice. You may still get a highly revised John Wilkes Booth story later, but for now, from out of my ass, is Robert’s Comedy Pantheon…...

Comedy Heroes
I love standup comedy and I’ll normally stop what I’m doing to catch a good stand-up act on Leno, Letterman or Comedy Central. I have 6 favorites on my iPod: Kathy Griffin, Patton Oswalt, Jim Gaffigan, Wanda Sykes, Lisa Lampanelli and Lewis Black. I’ve noticed an interesting thing: Some comics I’ll listen to repeatedly and some annoy me after one or two listenings. Herewith, I’ll rate these guys based on originality, delivery, “No fear” factor and a fourth “Je ne sais quoi” catch-all category for miscellaneous things. This is a little out of my usual comfort zone, like when I rated hamburgers (Whataburger was #1); sometimes we have to break out of the mold dammit. Now let’s look at our list of comics …

#1 Kathy Griffin – I already blogged about Kathy. I love her show, My Life on the D List, and here’s a short blurb why. She doesn’t flinch from anything be it her mother drinking a box of wine or Barbara Walters using Astro-glide. She has sacrificed relationships for comedy material – that’s a person dedicated to the cause. She’s nearly fearless, plumbs lots of new material and has a great delivery. She’s dubbed herself an “honorary gay man” and done a trip to Iraq to entertain troops. Last but not least she said, “Jesus can suck it” when getting an Emmy. Christians everywhere, it was a joke meant to shock. Shock it did – I think Jesus is probably over it, I don’t know about everyone else.

#1 (it’s a tie) Patton Oswalt – I’ve also blogged about Patton Oswalt. His near schizo bits about dying in the George Bush Apocalypse, Physics for Poets or Stelladora Breakfast treats but him in the super-brave, uber original category. I truly think he’s brilliant. Much like a poet laureate, he has tremendous command of English (he majored in English) and he fairly spills his guts in talking about various observations and insecurities. He’s comedy gold that everyone should enjoy. He’s played a lovable loser in shows like King of Queens, so he’s someone to enjoy on many levels.

#2 Jim Gaffigan – Jim is a tall, sardonic nearly albino comedy actor and stand-up artist who makes wry, dry observations about everyday life. He doesn’t take on show-biz or political giants as do Kathy and Patton. His comedy is more likely to highlight his wife, coworkers, fans or people he meets on the street. He speaks of the man at K-Mart who was drinking a cup of gravy. He speaks again of sleeping so long he’s tired when he wakes up. He has a running gag on Hot Pocket sandwiches. He’s extremely self-deprecating and makes a lot of jokes about his paleness and perceived lack of sex appeal. He even produced a cartoon short called Pale Force featuring him and Conan O’Brien. Jim is hilarious – he’s been all over TV and movies (Sex and the City, Going the Distance). Check out his stand-up routine on CD if you want to see him up-close and personal.

#3 Wanda Sykes – Wanda is the wry, sarcastic (now recently out) black woman who’s known more as a comedy actress. She plays the sidekick on shows like New Adventures of Old Christine but has also appeared on many shows like those of Chris Rock and Bill Maher. Her stand-up comedy is fairly blue and people who know her from sitcoms might be “shocked and appalled” at things like a detachable vagina and similar stuff. She also riffs on racial themes (“white people commit more crimes but don’t get caught”) which are pretty good in context. Her delivery has a grating, know-it-all aspect to it that starts to annoy me on the second listen. Also, I disagree that Nasa should be canceled – I’m a space nerd that likes that program. Have to say I probably disagree with a couple of her pet issues. She’s not “out there” in the ether of Left Field like Patton, Kathy or Jim so not as entertaining to me.

#4 Lewis Black – There was a time when I thought Lewis Black was so funny, I’ve blogged about him before. Then I realized a couple of things (one which Seth McFarland pointed out on Family Guy)… he yells his punch lines as if the yelling will embellish the humor. It’s novel and funny until it becomes completely annoying. What I also noticed is that he’s kind of a wuss on subject matter. He attacks innocuous things like candy corn and adults who dress up at Halloween. (Yawn). He goes after politicians like George Bush and Rick Santorum long after there are any comedy credits for bravery or astuteness (and after everyone else has already piled on). Otherwise, he’s actually fairly apolitical and to be honest, a little boring.

#5 Lisa Lampanelli – This loudmouth Italian woman is a little too old (48-ish) and big to be categorized as a comedy ho or bimbo. She’s discovered a comedy mother lode by being an equal opportunity offender to every racial and sexual minority. She goes on at length about “gooks, spics and butt pirates” and most of her targets take it in good fun. Her “ticket” if you will is that she craves black men and gay men are her best friends. She’s very self-deprecating so that a self-demolition gives license for an everyone-else-demolition. I think some people will be offended to be honest. I have to admit I laughed by butt off the first time I listened to her Queen of Mean. Then on second listening I realized that she (like Lewis Black) yells her jokes – she also recycles a lot. How many times can you replay black, gay or Asian stereotypes without sounding like a broken record? She’s funny but it’s a one-listen, one-trick pony.

So there you have it – Robert’s Comedy Pantheon. I didn’t include dead people (George Carlin) and I didn’t include people who primarily host (Conan O’Brien) or act (Ben Stiller). The world of funny people is a densely populated one when you consider everyone there is. My list of comics above might seem pretty left field – these guys probably won’t be appearing in Branson, MO anytime soon. blogSpotter would be interested in knowing who else is funny that I might’ve overlooked. The world can be sort of gray and dull at times – let’s hear it for the people who make us laugh.

© 2010 blogSpotter

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home