Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Leap Vacation

2010-08-09 22:34:30 -0500
A vacation to remember -- Picture courtesy of Wikipedia

by blogSpotter
PERSONAL JOURNAL

I'm on the last day of an extremely fun family vacation. We had a family reunion in Corpus Christi, Texas and I may finally get the names straight for my many cousins and second cousins. We had a boat ride through Corpus Christi Bay -- it was very invigorating (and slightly bruising). We also had a couple of cookouts and lots of reminiscing.

My trusty iPad kept me current with all my email. In fact, the iPad did something no other device has done -- it invited an accusation from a relative: "You'd rather sit with your iPad than visit the old neighborhood!". My iPad has become that much of a distraction. We're back in Round Rock tonight, looking at available videos on demand. That brings me to our blog topic ...

MOVIE STUFF

In days of old, I used to read TV Guide, where I'd enjoy the wit of movie critics Judith Crist and Cleveland Amory. I remember Crist in particular described one movie as an enjoyable "trash wallow". She went on further to elaborate that movies do not have to justify themselves...

Paraphrasing Crist, movies do not have to educate or edify. They don't have to send a message or inspire noble thoughts. They certainly don't have to win awards. Trashy movies that immediately spring to mind are "Valley of the Dolls" and "Plan 9 from Outer Space". These movies are entertaining more than anything else -- they've helped forge a new category of movie, one so bad that it's good.

If the movie stimulates belly laughs or provokes any kind of curiosity it has done its main thing -- take the viewer out of humdrum existence and transport him to a new place. Think of it as a virtual, two hour vacation. I love cult movies ("Rocky Horror") and silly movies ("Step Brothers"). It's also hard to go wrong with any of the Ace Ventura movies floating around. Sometimes silly will surprise you with some wisdom or life lessons you didn't expect (sort of like Cocoa Puffs with vitamins added). "Step Brothers" actually had a good message about misplaced priorities.

For the last part of the vacation, my brother and I visited my mother in Round Rock, Texas. We watched two movies -- "Leap Year" and "Hot Tub Time Machine". "Hot Tub Time Machine" was purely juvenile and maybe no redeeming qualities. That being said, it's worth the rental fee if you like a comedic twist on time travel laced with the F word. "Leap Year" is a romantic chick flick which matches a tightly wound, American priss (Amy Adams) against a laid back Irish pub owner (Matthew Goode). Their car trip to Dublin is an odyssey fraught with cows on the loose, car problems, highway robbery, missed trains and other mishaps. All is set against the beautiful backdrop of Ireland -- a green, hilly utopia that I need to visit some day. The movie is a classic formula, served up with terrific nuance and originality. You know how it will end, but enjoy the ride nonetheless.

I feel the need to apologize for not being more current with the blog. I'll be back in Dallas shortly, and have burned through all my vacation -- should be good for a steadier blog schedule as soon as I get back.

© 2010 blogSpotter

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous pembe balon elbise said...

thank you

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home