Sunday, August 26, 2007

Reflections in the August Sun

800px-The_sun1
Heat wave ruminations -- Picture courtesy Wikipedia Press

by blogSpotter
I haven't done a retrospective blog in a long time, and now it's that time again. My home right now is a cat hospice for my beautiful 14 year old calico, Maui. She was diagnosed with bladder cancer last week and the vet thinks that I should probably have her put to sleep. If she's not suffering, I'd rather have her here in familiar surroundings. I've been giving her Whiskas cat milk and she's hanging in there so far -- in fact today she's perked up a little bit.

I've talked at length about Iraq -- and as of today's Sunday talk shows, things are as murky as ever. John Warner thinks we should cut the number of troops in half, but Hillary Clinton thinks we should take a slow, gradual approach. Bush himself has recently indicated he thinks we need a surge on the surge. I think Iraq is going to face religious, civil strife no matter what we do -- we should do what we can to keep it from exploding into a regional conflict and save American lives where possible.

I blogged recently about iPhones and Apple TV. Finally succumbed to the commercials and bought an Apple iPhone. The minimal AT&T rate plan is $59.99/month plus taxes and fees for a two year contract. I used an internet 'hack' to activate mine and use it only as an iPod/PDA. I don't need to indenture myself to AT&T. iPhone is a killer device and makes other phones look prehistoric. The Apple TV is actually great entertainment. Am surprised by how much I've enjoyed the feature that lets you view all the movie trailers -- eliminates the need for a couple of my entertainment periodicals. I want to buy the new 20" iMac, but am waiting until October when they come preloaded with the Leopard operating system. They should also have Bootcamp which enables dual boot to Mac or Windows.

One reader was a bit shocked by my 'soft core' photo illustration of the American Prude blog. He should be glad that I reduced its size -- originally it was twice as large. Had to shrink it because if an illustration is too wide for its template 'zone', it will force the entire blog content to come at the bottom of the advertisements -- looks like my blog has no articles. That's happened a few times inadvertently; just scroll to the bottom if it looks like my blog has turned up empty.

The cat is sleeping now. Have no illusions about her situation but every additional day with her is a blessing. Writing from 'hospice house' and hoping everyone has a good Labor Day weekend next week. Our 2008 election is shaping up to be interesting and should provide great grist for the blog in upcoming months -- stay tuned here.

© 2007 blogSpotter

Labels:



1 Comments:

Blogger blogspotter said...

Maui left me at about 3PM yesterday. She actually passed away in transit to the vet, which is preferable to being injected with something. She was a smart, sweet beautiful creature and will be missed. Crazy how we can love a pet so much but we can.

I'll probably get another pet, but need to get through the pain of losing this one first.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home