Monday, January 16, 2006

Brave New World of TV

hdtv
Bigger can be better

The 20" RCA CRT TV that I bought five years ago still works fine. It was hooked up to basic cable and provided five years of trouble-free entertainment. When my mother in Round Rock bought a new, flat screen 32" TV, along with premium cable, it pushed me closer to the technology edge. I used to be an early adaptor of gizmos and gadgets, but somewhere lost my fervor. I don't even watch TV like I used to -- have no must-see shows (sorry NBC). But I'll be darned if I'm the codger down the street who still has a Victrola. Also, I noticed that friends and relatives with large HDTV's are getting a nightly theater experience. My eyesight isn't what it was, and every little bit of upsizing helps. Decided I had to become modern. My first obstacle to modernization was removal of a 1,000 pound oak entertainment center. Dark wood, traditional style, it is still like new and can hold up to a 32" TV. (In case any readers want to buy it -- I'll make you a good deal). This furniture no longer represents any aspect of me -- the age of the big, dark furniture is over. Bring on the clean, the lean, the modern -- the IKEA if you will. Crate & Barrel if you want to move upscale with the concept. My good friend and I nearly caused destruction to my house, as well as hernias to ourselves, moving the entertainment center to the garage.

Now, we bring in my new Panasonic 52" rear-projection LCD TV. I purchased it at SAM's, and consequently found equal or better deals just about everywhere I looked afterwards. Also think I found out why mine was $1000 less than similar-sized Plasma devices. It has a pricey projector lamp that must be replaced every two years. What have I gotten myself into? Also, there appears to be a web site devoted to consumers angry with maintenance issues on this particular model. Gulp. I'm fine with it now, and will probably replace the bulb a few times until I have fully amortized my erroneousness.

How's the picture you say? Well, I still have analog cable -- am debating all the pros and cons of Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, etc, etc, etc. The analog shows up pretty darn good most of the time, on a 4:3 aspect (old TV) ratio. Oddly some analog channels look like fuzzy crap -- not sure why such variance would exist on analog. DVD's look fantastic of course, and cartoons have unbeatable clarity. I've recaptured some of the magic of being 10 years old, at the Cinema matinee -- going to see "The Love Bug". Have I mastered all that there is here? There are still owners manuals in the wrappers, and submenus I haven't looked at. So, the answer is no. Perhaps Geeks on Call -- they can tell me why things look as they do. Never has a couch potato needed to be so informed. But I'll have to admit that bigger can be better. Now, I just need stadium seating and some Junior Mints.

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

I'm so hurt you didn't consult me before getting the projection TV.... Of course i'm just envious because my TV is 10 years old this month ;-)

1:34 PM  
Blogger blogspotter said...

I should've consulted somebody! Still not sure what I'd get if I didn't get the Panasonic. Somebody told me that all the new TV's have a short lifespan, so I might not need to worry about replacing the projector bulb after all.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now who was it who helped moved out the 1000 pound oak tv entertainment center?? Haha!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home