Saturday, July 16, 2011

Kinky Memorandum

220px-Secretarymovpost
Found a typo ... - Picture courtesy of Wikipedia

by blogSpotter
As I write today, we are on about the umpteenth day of furnace-hot, 100+ degree temperatures here in Dallas -- 103 right now. This weather does a complete number on me -- it seems to make me unnaturally sleepy. I’m actually sitting in a KFC on NW Highway while Pep Boys tinkers with my car two doors down. I think my struts are worn and I hope the service advisor didn’t take me for a ride. Am not mechanically gifted so I have to trust in my fellow man.

Before embarking on my latest cinematic discovery, I’d like to comment on Rick Perry’s August public prayer session. Once again, the Tea Party and Religious Right (misnomer) have made a deliberate distortion of things. It seems an atheist group is suing because the prayer session is a violation of church-state separation. Perry’s team says, mistakenly, that the atheist group is against prayer and free expression. The atheist group is totally OK with prayer and free expression. What they dislike is an elected Governor using tax funds to promote and endorse a specific religion, Christianity. It’s not likely that Jews, Buddhists or Hare Krishna’s will be given an equal shake at this event. There is the objection.

THE SECRETARY

Let’s move along to our next, featured topic. I watched a movie on TV this weekend, which let’s face it -- it was kinky. The Secretary came to the Angelica Theater near me way back in 2002. I thought the topic looked intriguing (though I’m not into that kind of thing :-) )… my friends were appalled by it and would not go see it. This nine years later I finally watched it on a late Saturday night with my cousin Lizzie. We very maturely giggled through some of the spank sessions, it’s good to be an adult about it.

The movie features Maggie Gyllenhaal as an emotionally fragile young woman from a dysfunctional family. Her alcoholic father and mousy mother are unable to cope with her self-mutilating, suicidal tendencies and so she spends some time in a mental ward. Upon her release, she takes intensive typing courses and hires into James Spader’s law office where typewriters rule -- computers are not allowed.

Spader comes across as a wee bit prissy, perfectionist and obsessive-compulsive. He’s a lonely bachelor and clearly smitten with Maggie’s character. (Using the actors’ names here out of laziness)… It’s not obvious at the outset that either person is kinky. Rather they are lonely, injured souls who have miraculously made a cosmic connection with each other. Their dalliance begins when Spader (somewhat overzealously) points out Maggie’s spelling errors. The chemistry is sparked and she starts to introduce deliberate errors in hopes of a “reprimand”.

The interaction expands into a full-blown, kinky affair which has an obvious expiration date as far as a practical, functioning law office would be concerned. I won’t replay the exact plot or spoil the ending in case anyone wants to rent this filthy smut. ;-) It has a bit of a surprise, enjoyable ending albeit an ending that seems unrealistic to me.

If you watch this movie, you’ll identify Spader as the dominant and Gyllenhaal as the submissive. What’s interesting is that minus the kinky sex, it resembles many weird, convoluted, real world couplings. The irrational verbal assaults, groveling and rites of humiliation look like something you might see in an overly strict religious household, or any marriage with a domineering spouse. That some people seek after and like this arrangement is amazing to me but I won’t argue with someone else’s formula for success. Whatever blows your dress up, as they say.

If you’re bored some evening, The Secretary will definitely capture your imagination. Just don’t get any ideas. ;-)

© 2011 blogSpotter

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home