Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weiners and Supermen

225px-Anthonyweiner
Men behaving badly, and otherwise - Picture courtesy of Wikipedia

by blogSpotter
Here in Dallas we’re already having the dog days of summer and it’s not even summer yet! The heat has sapped me of all my energy but I’ll do my best to serve up some commentary. I’m in the Knox-Henderson Starbucks and all the cute people just got up and left. What is an old man to do? Hoping it’s nothing I said or did. ;-) It’s a Saturday twilight hour when any young person with “a life” is probably heading off to a date or a party. How well I remember...

But enough about me. Let’s talk about Obama for just a minute. Earlier on (circa 2009) I accused Obama of being tepid, timid and boring. Then he surprised me by: (1) enacting health care (2) repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and (3) taking out Osama Bin Ladin. He did three Herculean feats that several Presidents prior could not approach doing. He did them all in a relatively short period of time -- complimentary caricatures were surfacing with Obama dressed as Superman, and the analogy does spring to mind. Now having praised him, I’d like to ask Obama to please refocus on something else (I know he reads my blog!)…. His fourth feat of Hercules should be to bring unemployment down to the 6% range. A bad economy is what torpedoed George H. W. Bush in 1992, while his Gulf War victory should’ve made him a shoo-in. A similar thing could happen to Obama if he doesn’t quell this Economy from Hell.

Oman, I hate to borrow from the toolkit of Paul Krugman, a humorless crank who happens to be right about economics. Until we “prime the pump” with government enterprises (a la 1930’s WPA), there won’t be a significant goosing of the labor pool. TARP and similar bailouts did nothing but forgive existing debts and put money in the hands of corporate CEO’s -- no obligation to invest in jobs, factories or research. A WPA project would help repair the nation’s infrastructure while putting good people back to work. But don’t listen to us -- Krugman is a sourpuss and I’m not even an economist by trade. We only *know what we’re talking about*. I will say that Obama has pulled a couple of rabbits out of his hat -- let’s see if he can do it again with the economy.

WEINERGATE

I’m perennially single and fairly liberal in my outlook, so my take on Anthony Weiner’s Twitter pics will fall out of the mainstream I’m sure. Obviously, he shouldn’t have done what he did -- it shows a lack of judgment and discretion. That being said, I don’t think it amounts to a crime. It doesn’t really need a Congressional inquiry to fathom the intricacies of boxer briefs being strained by a Congressional member. Today’s news yields this info: Weiner has agreed to seek professional care and rehabilitation for what “must” be an out-of-control sex obsession… PUH-LEEZE. If sexting is a sign of mental illness then easily 25% of America needs to be institutionalized for Twitter Abuse and/or felonious Facebooking. All Weiner is guilty of is sleaziness and horniness -- traits which attach themselves easily to most of the under-age 60 Web-surfing world. I think Weiner should have his district 9 voters decide his fate in the next election. All of the people out there who harbor no sex fantasies or illicit thoughts -- don’t be too discouraged if he makes a comeback.

STARBUCKS TONIGHT

A second shift has strolled into Starbucks, not as A-List as the first crowd. Lots of jogging outfits and Mav’s fan tee shirts. I just happened by at a weird juncture; in two more hours the beautiful date crowd will hit. They’ll need to have lattes and brownies after watching Hangover Part 2. Unfortunately for me, I don’t even have the “virtual” dating life of Representative Weiner -- my big thrill will be a magazine and a couple of recorded TV shows later tonight. More power to the Weiners of the world; have fun while you can. If you’re a Congressman there is one minor suggestion -- learn the difference between a private message and a public post. Also keep it somewhere in the back of your mind that all electronic communications are traceable. ‘Nuff said.

© 2011 blogSpotter

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger blogspotter said...

Have to leave a couple of remarks on my own blog ....
1) Meant to also comment on John Edwards' situation. I think what he did was wrong but he's already been punished (a lot). His marriage ended, his campaign was mortally wounded and his public image has been trashed. He shouldn't go to jail -- his children need their Dad.

2) Obama and pump-priming -- the Dems' hands are tied due to House GOP majority and simple majority in Senate. GOP does better for 2012 if economy stays in the dumper. USA may repeat Japan experience (10+ year recession) if we don't take matters into hand (and if GOP retakes White House in 2012). WPA typr program is needed.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home