Friday, March 19, 2010

The Dallas Green Party Rules

greenville
2010 Saint Patrick's on Greenville -- Picture by blogSpotter

by blogSpotter
You might be experiencing deja vu -- it may seem that you've already read this Saint Patrick's blog. Well faith and begorrah, maybe you have. I had it as a blip on last week's Oscar blog, and decided it deserved a blog entry unto itself, along with another photo.

East Dallas' Greenville Avenue, with its eclectic mix of bars, ethnic restaurants, flea markets, old theaters and what-not, is a worthy destination all year-round. On March 13th 2010, we had the perfect convergence of crystal blue sky, 66 degree weather, and 80,000 joyful Irish wanna-bes flooding Greeville Avenue -- making a good thing all that much better. Here briefly is a replay of that event.

---
I have to point out that Dallas has its own Green Party. Nothing to do with the environment -- we’re talking a Saint Patrick’s celebration on Lower Greenville Avenue. No city (except maybe Dublin, Ireland) has a lock on Saint Patrick; many American cities have parades and parties in his honor. For some reason, the Dallas version has exploded into a Green orgy that sprawls across all of East Dallas in a crazed, beer-bust-a-palooza that goes all day and partly into the next.

IMG_0344
A line down the block on Goodwin Ave -- Picture by blogSpotter

Being middle-aged and a non-drinker, I’ve harrumphed at it for many years (I live in East Dallas no less). I finally decided that if I can’t beat them, I’ll join them. I went and spent three hours in “the belly of the beast”. I witnessed a man with a green beard and a green dog -- he was nothing compared to another man wearing the green thong from Borat. The overall tone was Halloween with a green theme, intersecting maybe the Dog Parade from Easter at Lee Park.

SECOND BASE

I was groped by one woman lurching thru the crowd, and invited to dine with three ladies (total strangers) at Café Brazil. I would’ve said yes, but had already just chowed down two Cheeseburgers. Later in the evening I accidentally got to second base with an Asian woman. We bumped into each other and she started to fall. I reached to grab her, afraid she would strike the sidewalk. She turned as I grabbed, and I grabbed a whole hand full of boob. I was seriously embarrassed but she was drunk and didn’t appear to notice or care. I hoped nobody saw, but someone yelled, "Get a good feel?” from a car going by. I’ll never live down the shame.

Overall, Saint Patrick’s was a lot of fun and I’ll probably be back. There is too much in the way of beer-induced debauchery, youthful exuberance and green-painted pit bulls for me to stay away any time in the future.

© 2010 blogSpotter

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home