Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Tale of Two Blogs

aveg
Time for some impulse shopping? -- Picture by blogSpotter

by blogSpotter
I actually have two blogs. Strange Fascination is of course the one you're reading. It's my original blog, and contains all of my original articles across many broad topics. I added a few advertising sponsors in the hope of making this labor of love a little bit profitable. My click revenue was pretty inconsequential, but I did observe something from watching others' surfing habits: women are more likely to click on the imbedded ads. I know how terribly sexist this conclusion is, and I must compound the offense by noting that women are also more likely to buy as well as click.

It's not for nothing that Banana Republic only gives the back 1/6 of its floor space to men's wear. There is method to Macy's madness in having women's wear filling up the first two floors -- men have to trek up two escalator flights to shop among lamps and luggage. The ladies like to shop. And so ... I created a commercially-oriented spin-off of Strange Fascination -- Avenue G. Avenue G has a subset of articles from Strange Fascination -- mostly dealing with cinema arts and some liberal politics. The presentation is different and the ad links are more woman-oriented (e.g., Linen's and Things).

Another major difference is that I use automated syndication material from Cinemablend and others. At first I was going to write all new material for Avenue G, but it was far too time-consuming. You could say the Avenue G is on autopilot -- it gets daily material from free syndication and monthly articles copied verbatim from Strange Fascination. The only other thing I did to punch up Avenue G was add links to show business sites like Jossip and Hollywood.com.

Now, here is the rub. Strange Fascination gets just a tiny trickle of visitors. Without prompting or alert emails, it gets maybe three unsolicited looks each day (not counting my own hits). Avenue G gets as many as 12 hits a day from all over the world. This has me wondering how much I need to focus the articles or filter where they display. It's actually a good thing -- I know the potential is there. There's gold in the hills -- blogspotter will just have to ascertain how to find it. If you have nothing else to do, check out Avenue G. Does it give you a sense of déjà vu? I hope so – it means you already read it here.

© 2007 blogSpotter

Labels:



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The disparity in spending has been known a loooong time. As the author of Dilbert once wrote:

"If you were from another planet, say Switzerland, and you only knew these two facts-1) Men earn most of the money, and 2) Women spend most of the money-what would you assume about who is holding whom by the whatchamacallits and swinging the person who owns the watchamacallits around in the air while yelling, "I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR!?""

Scott Adams

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home