Saturday, December 06, 2008

My Kingdom for a Navigator?

5507822-1-3-86d2ceed
Yours for $26K -- Picture courtesy of CarMax

by blogSpotter
My 2001 Toyota RAV4 has served me well. It still looks pretty good and only has 53K miles on it. On the other hand, it does have slightly oxidized paint, and torn upholstery in the drivers seat. I’ve recently toyed with the idea of some new wheels. Have looked at 2009 Toyota RAV4, Toyota Highlander and Honda CRX. Brand new, these cars range in price from 25K to 40K depending on models and options.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at Lexus Certified Pre-Owned web site. I saw where a 2007 Lexus RX 350 (35K miles) with 2 years remaining on the warranty was only $28K. Its new listing price would hover at $43K. I went on another lark and looked at www.carmax.com. There, I found a 2007 Lincoln Navigator going for $26K. This car new would list @ 48K, even after our recent gasoline price brouhaha.

More thoughts flicker by … gasoline is back down to $1.69/gallon. Will it stay this reasonable in months to come? Consider the young ladies who’ve dated OJ Simpson in the last decade -- they might have to ask, “Have you gotten that knife-play out of your system?” I might be just as compelled to ask Shell Oil, “Any chance those gas prices will be rocketing back up to $4 anytime soon?”

Newsweek magazine ran a story last week about “luxaholic guilt”. In light of our recent financial meltdown, people who can afford luxury items have started to do it on the down-low. They feel guilty flashing bling and baubles in front of people less fortunate. I might also feel self-conscious in that regard, even though I fail to qualify as wealthy or luxaholic. I have no desire to let anyone “eat cake”.

But look at it this way. When you see a 2007 Lincoln Navigator driving down the street, did they pay $48K or $26K for it? $26K will buy a new Honda Accord and not even the fanciest trim level. When I pay homage to the wealth of the lux-o-mobile owner, it seems that times have changed the requirement. It is not nearly enough for him to park it next to my RAV4 and throw a Nordstrom’s bag in his Navigator’s storage compartment – nay. He needs to show me the purchase contract. Else, he might have bought it from CarMax for $26K and be paying it out at that.

Lux-a-holics – now is your dark, even darkest hour. You cannot hoodwink anyone into thinking you are rich unless you are driving the Yellow Rolls Royce of movie fame, or maybe a Maybach Limousine. Else what you’re driving is negligible degrees better than what I’m driving. Pretentiousness is after all, and in the final analysis, a bitch.

© 2008 blogSpotter

Labels:



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...I fail to qualify as wealthy or luxaholic."

Tell us about your "iPod in every room" again????

6:55 AM  
Blogger blogspotter said...

Those are all rusty, old ipods.

Actually if you totalled up the value of all my electronic gizmos (TVs, computers, ipods, cameras) it really wouldn't amount to that much.

I don't have a single thing that would really impress a la-dee-da type person. Just look @ my Target watch and my Sketchers from Kohls.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home