Monday, August 04, 2008

Drive-Thru Nation

799px-Drive-thru-night
I'd like some more asphalt with that -- Picture courtesy of Wikipedia

by blogSpotter
When I recently visited Washington D.C., I noticed that they were proudly proclaiming themselves to be a “driver unfriendly city”. Cars are not welcome. My first reaction was to think that they need a new Chamber of Commerce. You’re deliberately closing off some streets, making others one-way and raising parking fines?? Then as I walked through the Dupont Circle area, I had to admit that I didn’t miss any of the noise or air pollution. DC also has nice, wide crosswalks and timers that tell you exactly how many seconds until the light changes – on every intersection.

I’m from Dallas, TX. Big D was founded @ 1848, but the lion’s share of our city was built after 1925, dedicated lovingly to the automobile. There is no eatery, bank, coffee house, or dry cleaner that doesn’t cater to drive-thru tastes. Motor courts and drive-in theaters are on the wane, but cars need not worry. Our AMC mega-theaters offer thousands of acres of blacktop. Our Red Roof Inns and Motel 8’s offer no less. In far-flung suburbs like Frisco and Garland, the paradigm has hardly changed. Nary a new “big box” goes up that doesn’t surround itself with an asphalt ocean.

Cards on the table – I like the convenience of cars and drive-thrus and I even like Wendy’s. But when I stroll through the walking districts of Boston, New York or Portland I have to wonder if we really need to take our 2-ton carbon monoxide belching monstrosities with us everywhere we go? When I saw smart cars and itsy little 3-seater cars in Paris and London, my first reaction was pity. “These poor souls, they’re so lacking in space”. But maybe they have an enriched sense of proportion. Since when did it become necessary for a car to be a living room or a rec room on wheels? Is it not possible to have a Wendy’s restaurant that you walk into? Think I’ve seen that somewhere.

Washington DC has thrown down the gauntlet – “a pox on your car”. You are more than welcome; your Ford Explorer is vehicle non grata. Your noisy, polluting, 2-ton fire belcher will have to stay at airport parking thanks very much. The concept has been proved in Europe, Japan and parts of the USA. You can design cities so that cars are an occasional convenience rather than a necessity. My thanks to our nation’s capital for putting cars, if nothing else, into perspective.

© 2008 blogSpotter

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm also from Dallas. Richardson, actually. :) One of the things I love most about dc is that I have lived here quite happily for a long time with no car.

Long live the public transport/walking friendly cities! I'll never live otherwise.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan hit it on the head as to where the problem really lies, IMO. A miserable lack of public transportation. I've never been to Portland, but in D.C., Boston and the Mecca of carlessness: NY, NY, the one common factor is a perfectly usable (and generally reliable and safe) train system.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to spend 2.5 hours each way on smelly, unreliable, hot buses to and from work every day. They've been building the Green Line for what, several years now and it still won't be serving Love Field until the end of year AFTER next!! Long after the end of the Wright Amendment while people are SCREAMING for options with, until the current decrease, $4 gas. And that's for an above ground line, not even a tunneled one line the aforementioned cities.

I really don't understand the holdup.

As to Robert breaking his drive-through habit, might I suggest a better class of fast food? Never seen a drive-through at a Subway. Not any I go to, anyway (-;.

5:47 AM  
Blogger IMGoph said...

glad to hear that you enjoyed DC and appreciate that we'd like to make the city more pedestrian friendly. keep in mind, there was no official announcement anywhere that we're trying to be "unfriendly" to cars. that was the washington post coming up with a headline to sell more papers. what do you expect from the traditional media?

5:47 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I moved to DC about a year ago from Columbus, OH. Another place you gotta have a car if you are gonna make it. I've wanted public transportation in C-bus for years and have voted for it every time it's made the ballot. Of course it is never approved. Anyway, after moving out here, I realize how much more important it is. And each time I walk by the gas station on the way to the Metro, I think of my friends back home: with their SUVs, $4.00 a gallon, and no other options.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home