Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 In Review

new year
Happy 2007 -- may it be blogworthy -- Picture courtesy Wikipedia

by blogSpotter
When looking back on my 2006 blogs, it was a heckuva year. I got a few a wrong and I got some right in my political predictions. Back in January, I wrote “Orange Alert”. Was sure that Karl Rove would succeed in using security once more as a blowtorch to scare Americans into voting Republican – the midterms proved me wrong on that. I wrote “Pelosification” on election night, when two states were still being counted. Now as it turns out, the Democrats took both houses by a microthin margin. How thin? Dem Senator Tim Johnson’s recent stroke was nearly enough to bring it back to the GOP, if he hadn’t recovered.

I was sure Joe Lieberman’s ship was sunk when he lost his party’s nomination to Ned Lamont in Connecticut. Joe ran as an independent and won – I stand corrected on that. He will vote as a Democrat, so we still have his mealy mouth double-speak but maybe some Dem votes as well. In “Second Thoughts About Kinky” my doubts were totally warranted. Kinky used the “N” word in casual, albeit recorded settings, and it didn’t sit well with blacks – a crucial demographic.

In “Da Vinci Mode” this blog hopped on the Da Vinci hype bandwagon. My only thought about that in retrospect is that so many devout Christians were threatened by it and held special seminars to debunk it. If you’re secure in your faith (think “Rock of Ages”) a fiction based around art history turned into a Ron Howard movie should not shake that faith. In “Passion of the Mel” I predicted that Mel Gibson would land on his feet and he has. “Apocalypto” has done well in theaters this month.

I did some science articles that were “out there”. I wrote about viruses, plant-eating dinosaurs and a species out-of-balance. Nothing is as deafening as the roar of no comments and no private emails that say it was interesting, off-base or weird. Can only speculate that my brainwave works at a different frequency on some of these and the topic doesn’t resonate with the general public. Not to worry – I’ll continue with them anyway. Hey, this is therapeutic for me.

Wishing everyone a great 2007, and hoping that we get some great new stories that are blogworthy.

© 2006 blogSpotter

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home